Did you know that your Smile Viera dentist screens you for oral cancer every time you visit our Viera, FL dentist office? April is Oral Cancer Awareness month and we want to shed light on this too often deadly disease. Every April we take the time to remind patients of the importance of preventative dental care and screenings for oral cancer. Routine screenings can save your life.
DID YOU KNOW? ORAL CANCER
- Oral cancer screenings are painless and only take two minutes to complete. Many patients are unaware it is happening, that is how simple the process is.
- Frequent oral cancer screenings can save your life.
- Early diagnosis of oral cancer is essential for highly effective treatment.
- Oral cancer is often deadly due to late diagnosis. Catching oral cancer in the earliest stages can save lives. Be sure to get screened twice a year.
- Nearly 45,000 Americans are diagnosed with oral cancer every year, the earlier the diagnosis, the better chances of survival.
- Studies are showing a link between the rise in HPV and oral cancer. HPV is believed to be the cause of oral cancer in younger patients, some as young as in their 20s.
- It does not matter if you smoke, vape or chew, if you use tobacco products you increase your chance of getting oral cancer.
- Red or white spots, sores, thick patches, or lumps all may be signs of oral cancer. Always stay alerted to changes in your oral health.
- If symptoms persist for more than 14 days, call our Viera, FL dentist office to schedule an appointment to have them checked.
- If you have a consistent hoarse voice or the feeling of a lump or something caught in your throat, these may be signs of oral cancer.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
Whether you have noticed changes in your oral health, or it is time to schedule your next preventative dental care visit, contact our Viera, FL Smile Viera dentist office. Preventative dental care can help you avoid a whole spectrum of oral health concerns. Early diagnosis is key for effective treatment of many advanced dental health concerns. Contact our office or schedule a visit online.