As anybody who has experienced tooth pain knows, the sooner it can be relieved, the better. Dental pain is not normal and can indicate a serious problem that needs to be addressed. If your teeth are hurting you, it is always a good idea to quickly see your Smile Viera dentist in Viera FL. Drs. Roppa, Marshall-Roppa or Bachman can then do a thorough examination and answer the frustrating question you might have, Why do my teeth hurt? It can be a number of reasons, but here are nine of the most common:
- Cavity: A cavity is a spot of decay in your tooth caused by bacteria feeding on your enamel. Cavities expose the nerves of your teeth, creating sensitivity that results in tooth pain. Cavities are best treated when they are still small and the tooth can still be saved.
- Damaged or Lost Filling: On occasion, a filling will fall out or be damaged, which will cause issues with your bite, leading to pain. A visit to Drs. Roppa, Marshall-Roppa or Bachman at Smile Viera can determine what needs to be done to eliminate the pain.
- Teeth Grinding/Clenching/TMJ: If you happen to find yourself bearing down on your teeth during the day, or waking up with a sore jaw, this is a good indicator you are clenching or grinding your teeth at night. Your Smile Viera dentist can offer solutions to help save your teeth from excess wear and tear, as well as painful headaches, toothaches and jaw pain.
- Abscessed Tooth: An abscess forms when there is an infection in the root of your tooth. It is extremely painful and only a dentist visit can resolve it by prescribing antibiotics. Failure to treat an abscess can lead to a widespread infection in other parts of your body, even vital organs.
- Wisdom Teeth: When your wisdom teeth begin to emerge, they can cause a great deal of pain, swelling, and jaw stiffness. Your Smile Viera dentist can determine if the teeth are coming in properly or if they should be removed.
- Injury: Injury caused by such things as contact sports or an accident can manifest as any number of symptoms including a “bruised” or deep discoloring of the tooth, a broken tooth, or total loss of one or more teeth.
- Temperature Sensitivity: When the underlying layer of the tooth, called the dentin, is exposed by cracks in the enamel or by the recession of the gums, your teeth may become sensitive to hot or cold temperatures, or both.
- Orthodontic Treatment: When you have your braces adjusted, it is common to experience some level of tooth pain. This is routine and using an over-the-counter pain medication, or if the issue is caused by the hardware itself, a bit of dental wax should help.
- Teeth Whitening: Most people will experience some discomfort after a professional teeth-whitening treatment, but the pain should subside within a day. Talk to Drs. Roppa, Marshall-Roppa or Bachman if it is too painful or problematic.
No matter what the cause, we know tooth pain can be miserable, so quit asking, “Why do my teeth hurt?” and schedule an appointment online with your Smile Viera dentist today, or call our scheduling specialist at (321) 614-3833. Your Smile Viera dentist will identify the underlying problem and do their best to help you find relief, fast.