Are you experiencing bleeding gums?
If you are experiencing bleeding gums, it may be an indicator of the presence of gum disease. At Smile Viera in Viera, FL, Dr. Roppa, Dr. Bachman, and Dr. Marshall-Roppa offer a range of treatments for patients suffering from gum disease. We take the time to properly screen each of our patients to check for any signs of gum disease. If gum disease is present, we offer a range of treatment options to improve your smile. If you are experiencing signs of gum disease, contact our Viera, FL dentist office.
What is gum disease?
Gum disease (periodontal disease) often occurs when there is a buildup of plaque and tartar on the teeth. Research has shown that gum disease may also be a result of tobacco uses, certain medication, genetics, and poor oral hygiene.
There is two stage of gum disease:
Gingivitis: The earliest stage of gum disease that may cause irritation and bleeding in the gums. If not treated in a timely fashion, gingivitis can progress to periodontal disease. Gingivitis is reversible if caught early enough.
Periodontal Disease (Gum Disease): Untreated gingivitis can progress to periodontal disease if not properly treated. During periodontal disease, deep pockets around the gum line, causing the gums to bleed, and may even result in shifting or tooth loss if not treated.
What are the signs of periodontal disease?
The signs of periodontal disease may vary from patient to patient. Some patients may experience none, some, or all symptoms associated with periodontal disease. If you are noticing any of these symptoms, visit Smile Viera for the periodontal therapy you need to restore health and function back to your smile.
- Swollen gums
- Abscessed teeth
- Red gums
- Persistent bad breath
- Tooth sensitivity
- Gums that bleed while brushing or flossing
- Receding gum line
- Tooth loss
- Tender gums
What are the treatments for gum disease?
One of our highly trained dentists from our dental care team will carefully examine your smile and determine which treatment option best suits your needs.
Treatment options can include:
- Scaling and root planing
- Medication or mouthwash to help remove the harmful bacteria in the mouth. Patients may also need professional dental cleanings, which will require additional visits to our Viera, FL dentist office.
- Laser dentistry: Smile Viera offers laser dentistry treatment for a wide range of periodontal issues. Soft tissue lasers can treat diseased tissue with less bleeding, discomfort, and downtime.
How to prevent gum disease?
- Practice an excellent oral hygiene routine. Brush your teeth twice a day, for at least two minutes a day. Incorporate flossing into your routine to remove bacteria and debris that may be hiding between the teeth.
- Schedule regular preventive care visits at Smile Viera in Viera, FL. During biannual preventive care visits, we can properly examine the teeth and gums for any signs of gum disease and offer treatments to restore health back into your smile.